The Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center, along with the Department of History at North Carolina State University, is hosting a Student Showcase Poster Session in conjunction with our Global Change Seminar Series and the RISING NC exhibit announced previously. The poster session will be held on Thursday, March 28, 2019 from 4:30 – 5:30 pm in 201 Witherspoon Student Center, as a part of the opening night of the RISING NC exhibit, located in the African American Cultural Center Art Gallery.
Graduate and undergraduate students interested in participating in the poster session should apply here. Posters should highlight an aspect of sea level rise and can be developed from many disciplinary perspectives and backgrounds, framed around elements of science (physical, environmental, or social), impacts, or adaptation strategies relevant to sea level rise. Requests for available slots for the poster session will be reviewed to represent a variety of perspectives on sea level rise. The poster session and series is partially funded through a lightning rod grant from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, titled, Rising Seas, Storms, and Rural Communities: The Politics, History and Place of Recovery and Resilience in the Coastal Plain.
Guidelines for posters — deadline for submission is March 20, 2019, 5 pm EST
Topics– Affected Coastal Peoples, History of Landscape Change, Coastal Climate Impacts (physical stressors), Climate Adaptation and Coastal Resiliency, Options for the Future (including resilience or mitigation),
- Poster dimensions should be a maximum 36″ tall x 48″ wide (landscape orientation).
- Poster Template – Provided below is a template that provides suggestions for creating your poster. Use of the template is optional. Examples of posters developed by two of our Global Change Fellows are also provided, to prompt your thinking.
- Funding for poster printing at Wolf Xpress Print, is available upon request. Students are expected to arrive for the session setup with the final poster.
- Registration for Poster session- Wednesday, March 13, 2019
- Event Timeline-
- Date – Thursday, March 28, 2019
- Location – Witherspoon 201
- Setup Time – Between 3pm-3:30pm
- Poster Session Time – 4:30pm-5:30pm (Event will be open to the public; you are expected to be at your poster during this time)
RISING NC Exhibit
RISING is a collection of artistic and oral history accounts that present how the North Carolina coastal region has changed over time. This traveling exhibition displays these generational stories throughout the state to help all North Carolinians better adapt for a more resilient future. We are thrilled to be partnering with the African American Cultural Center during the presentation of the Rising NC Exhibit. Learn more about the AACC here. Learn more about RISING NC and the artistic and scientific team behind the exhibit: